Diane, my "Marathon Woman"

I'd like to extend heartfelt thanks to all who have expressed their support and sent their prayers for my wife, Diane, as she does battle against the brain aneurysm she suffered last Thursday night.

I'm calling this "the setback." There is no reason at this time to think this is a catastrophe, a tragedy, or a disaster. It's just a setback, rather like a busted water heater or a clutch on a 2004 Hyundai Accent that's had the flyout bearing give out for the second time in a year.

This is going to be a difficult time, and it's a marathon, not a sprint. The way I would describe the current status is this: "The good news is there is no bad news. The bad news is there is no good news." We're kind of battling between the 49 yard lines here, and there's still not a good way to predict any outcomes. Until Diane is awake, we can't really know what damage, *IF ANY*, has been done to her neurological function. After she's awake, she will be delighted to know how many people have shown concern. 

Diane has not been fully awake since before the surgery last Friday afternoon. Right now, we don't really want her to be awake. She needs time for her brain to recover from this insult. 

That's the word the doctors use - insult. And let me tell you, brother, I'm feeling plenty insulted by all this, too.

I've been sending out 6-8 emails a day and responding to texts and phone calls, but I need to try to get this down to about one update per day. While this writing is actually therapeutic for me, I do still have to work in addition to monitoring Diane's condition, so I have to manage my time carefully in this difficult circumstance.

Also, I'm sorry, but I'm old.

I drink buttermilk, I still focus my cameras manually, and I don't do Facebook. I know Facebook is where most social updating is done these days, but that's not where I live.

I dislike Twitter less than I dislike Facebook because, while there is no less idiocy on Twitter, it does at least have the advantage of limiting that idiocy to 140 characters or less

Blogs were the new hotness a few years ago, and I did this blog for a while but drifted away over time. I've decided  to revive this long-dormant blog as a forum to brain-dump and keep all concerned posted on this situation. 

At this time, to monitor Diane's condition, please follow me on Twitter (@drummlines) and I will post short notes and links to or excerpts from new blog posts describing our journey through "the setback." If there is not a new post for a day or two, do not assume there had been a downturn. Like I said, time management is key right now. Also, if I've learned nothing else in the last three days, I've learned that progress will be *slow.* It is a real possibility that on any given day, there will simply be no new news to report.

Thanks again for all the notes and support. I look forward to the opportunity to thank all of you personally in the coming weeks and months.

-- 
Brian Drumm

No comments:

Post a Comment